Taxation abroad of US Social Security – Are you are US person or non resident alien?

The above tweet references a great post on Social Security benefits. As always, the question is whether you are ot are not a “U.S. person”. The article includes:

A portion of your Social Security retirement, survivors, or disability benefits may be subject to Federal Income tax. Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Special Veterans Benefits (SVB) are not taxed. Generally, SSI makes monthly payments to people who have low income and few resources and are age 65 or older; blind or disabled. Disabled or blind children also can receive SSI. SVB can include a monthly compensation paid to veterans who are hurt or who acquire a medical condition during military service.

Under current law, no federal income tax is paid by any person (whether US or non-US) on more than 85 percent of his or her Social Security benefits. The federal income tax rules and filing requirements are different for US persons and non-US persons.

Read the complete post here.